The Q&A Archives: Starting Potato

Question: I ordered your peat pellets this year and need to know how to plant my potato eyes in the pellet. I`m unfamilar with planting potatoes. Last season I was fooling around and cut some potato pieces with one to two eyes. I planted them skin side up with the eyes above dirt level in starter`s inside. To my surprise, with a little light, the eyes sprouted. I put them in my garden and by summer's end, I had some nice little potatoes. I want to get them out on time this year so I can have nice BIG potatoes this season. How do I do this with the peat pellets? Mary Lanza Edison, NJ

Answer: You don't need to start your potatoes indoors in peat pellets early in New Jersey to get a good crop. You can plant them directly in the soil about Mid-May, once the soil has dried out enough to work. Dig a one foot deep trench and place the seed pieces about 12" apart in the trench and cover them lightly with soil. As the sprouts emerge, bury them with soil. Do this 2-3 times until the soil is mounded around the emerging sprout. You'll enjoy potatoes this summer and fall from a spring planting..