The Q&A Archives: Transplanted Beginning Gardener

Question: Hi I am from philly but I live in Charlotte, Noth Carolina and I know nothing about gardning. My problem is my grass goes completely brown in the winter. How can I choke out my brown grass to have green all year?

Answer: Keeping a lawn green in your gardening region can be a challenge. There are cool season grasses (those that grow best in the fall and winter) and warm season grasses (those that grow best in the summer months). To have a green lawn all year around you'll need to overseed your summer grass with a cool season grass. In October, broadcast rye or fescue grass seed directly over your lawn. As your summer grass begins to die out, the rye or fescue will begin to green up. It will stay green all winter and just as it begins to die out your summer grass will green up.

Best wishes with your lawn!