The Q&A Archives: hedges

Question: Hello
I live in Kansas city Kansas and I have bought some hedges called privet fence. Is it to soon to plant them. Also can they be planted on the outside of your fence or do they have to be planted on the inside. are there any laws against the out side. also for a thick wall how far apart do they need to be planted.

Answer: You can plant your new plants now. How far apart to plant them depends upon which cultivar you've purchased. The tag should tell you how tall and wide the plants get. Most privets will grow from 4-8' wide. If yours grows 4' wide, plant them 4-5' apart; if they grow to 6' wide, plant them 5-6' apart. Since they will grow in all directions, you'll want to give them plenty of space and not plant them too close to your fence. Give them the same spacing away from the fence as you give them from each other. Most people plant on the inside of the fence so the privets will hide the fence. If your yard doesn't have enough room to comfortably fit the full grown shrubs, you might consider planting on the outside of the fence. I don't know what your local laws are concerning planting hedges so I can't help you decide whether to plant inside or outside the fence. You might want to check with your HOA about their rules.

Best wishes with your new privets!