The Q&A Archives: Walnut Trees my Problem

Question: My garden is located about 20ft from 2big walnut trees
People tell me thats why my tomatoe plants keep
dying out
Is this true that walnut trees is not good for tomatoe growing? I havn't been ablr to grow good tomatoes for 5 yrs

Answer: Walnut trees exude a substance called juglone which can affect some sensitive plants. It's the tree's way of keeping competing plants away and it is released from the roots, leaves and the nuts that fall to the ground. It is certainly possible that the juglone is leaching through soil moisture to your garden and affecting your tomato plants. Probably the easiest way to overcome this is to plant your tomatoes in containers. You might also try raising the soil level in the garden, but I think just planting your tomatoes in above-ground containers would be the easiest solution. I grow mine in half-whiskey barrels. They can be planted earlier in the season and they produce more fruits because the sun warms the soil when it hits the sides of the barrels. Just a thought....

Best wishes with your tomatoes!