The Q&A Archives: a good shrub for cover

Question: I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and want to plant a good shrub for home cover. A friend planted oleanders which worked great around their home but most of the ones I planted a couple of years ago had very little growth and most eventually died. I would like a alternative to try that would grow better in my region to provide cover and privacy. Thanks

Answer: You may have better success with some Texas native plants. How about Texas Ranger? It grows in heat and alkaline soils and flowers all summer long. Or, Spicebush which produces red berries in the fall. Both are about the same size as an oleander, both are evergreen and both attract birds (which will keep the insect population down in your yard).

Best wishes with your new shrubs!