The Q&A Archives: Rabbit's Foot Ferns

Question: Hi, I want to know if I can transfer my Rabbits Foot Fern into a different (Double) hanging pot planters. Will it damage it? Will it kill it? I just left them in the pots that I bought them in, but I want something cuter and I would like to add some soil to them! Any advice / help would be GREAT! Thanks!

Answer: You can transplant your Rabbit's Foot Fern, but you'll want to do it carefully. They can be difficult because of the way they wrap around the container. If the roots are firmly attached to the container, it sometimes works best to break the container and then split the plant by pulling it apart into sections; each section should have roots. The pieces that break off can be used to start new ferns. It is basically a "do the best you can" situation. To make it easier next time, you could repot onto wood or a wire basket that can be cut open.

Use fresh potting soil when you repot, place the plants at the same soil level as they were growing before, and be sure to water thoroughly after repotting to help settle the soil.

Best wishes with your plant!