The Q&A Archives: broken spuce tree

Question: I have a spruce tree that is about 5-6 feet tall that had the central trunk-branch broken off about two years ago. Is there anything that I can do to stimulate the main trunk to grow upwards again, or is it always going to be a half-tree from this point on?

Answer: Generally what happens when a tree loses its top is that one of the upper branches becomes the new central leader. Over time one branch will begin to grow more upright than the others. There's nothing you can do to promote or hurry this process. It's up to the tree to recover from the damage and to build or strengthen the necessary cells and tissues to produce a new central leader. At this point, simply continue to give your tree good care and it may recover. Hope so!