The Q&A Archives: Lawn

Question: My yard has small holes in it all over. It was there when I moved in the house. It's not deep holes, but the grass in it is dead. Also my grass started a golden brown in front yard. I brought some fertilizer to put down and have been watering it, but it's not help. Any suggestion to what I need to do? How to I tell if I have a fungus, or if I just need to add soil all over my lawn and see if that hurts.

Answer: Deirdre,
Your lawn problems are not clear as to the specific cause. It could be a disease but may also be a varmint making the holes. I suggest you take a sample down to your local Extension Office for identification. Cut a 4 by 4" plug with some roots and soil attached, place it in a plastic bag and seal it up. Take the sample in the zone between healthy and dead turf. Once the pest is properly identified, an appropriate remedy can be made.