The Q&A Archives: tulip and daffodil greenery

Question: After the tulip and daffodil flowers die off how long do you keep the greenery from the plant? Do you cut it down,or I have seen some people tie it up at the base of the plant.

Answer: Your tulips and daffodils are busy transporting carbohydrates from the foliage to the bulbs where it will be stored for the energy the bulbs will need to produce flowers and leaves next spring. It's important to allow the leaves to turn brown before removing them from the bulb. While some gardeners tie the leaves together and bend them down towards the ground so they're not so unsightly, doing so could block the process and the bulbs won't get the maximum amount of carbohyrates. I'd just allow them to turn brown on their own. It only takes a couple of weeks and your reward will be healthy bulbs and large flowers next spring.