The Q&A Archives: Pest Control, Perennials

Question: Last Year we moved into a townhouse that had no plants or bushes. I make a flower bed, planted clematis, cosmos and a couple of flowering bushes. I placed mulch around the plants help keep moist. To my dismay, earwigs are enjoying the new foliage and flowers before I get a chance.
I tried placing a tuna can fill with oil to get rid of them. That is way too messy.
I tried placing wet newspapers out during the night and picking them up in the morning. The earwigs were to smart for that.
I cleaned the excess mulch away...

I'm running out of ideas. Do you have any ideas?

Answer: You're right, earwigs do like cool, shady spots to hide out, which makes mulching a tricky proposition. Sounds as though you've tried all thee non-chemical solutions so if you'd rather use a pesticide, Orthene is effective against earwigs and won't harm your plants when applied according to label direcitons.

Best wishes with your garden!