The Q&A Archives: Flowers to attract Hummingbirds

Question: I have fuschia on my front porch. I need something to plant,to attract hummingbirds, in the pots on my deck that gets full sun all day. Is there anything you can sugest? I usually plant trailing petunias but they are not on the list of plants that attract the birds.
Thank you,

Answer: If hummingbirds live in your area, you can attract them by planting red, tubular flowers. There are many red-flowered annuals, perennials, vines, and shrubs to choose from and here is a list of some of the plants that most successfully attract hummingbirds: Trumpet honeysuckle, Trumpet-creeper, Cardinal-flower, Scarlet penstemon, Scarlet morning-glory, Cypress vine, Scarlet paintbrush, Scarlet salvia, Bee-balm, Fire pink, Scarlet petunia (yes, they do like petunias), Scarletbush and Coral bells. Best wishes with your front porch garden!