The Q&A Archives: self pollenating?

Question: I was going to buy a fruit tree...gala apples or anjou pear....and it mentioned self pollenating/not self pollenating on the tag. Does this mean I need two of the same kind or what do I need. Thanks.

Answer: Some fruit trees are considered self-fruitful and they will produce fruit without a second tree; all self-fruitful trees will produce a heavier crop if there is a second variety planted in your landscape. Gala is considered partially self-fruitful but will bear a heavier crop if you plant an apple tree with the same bloom time such as Delicious or Golden Delicious apple in your yard. Anjou pear requires cross pollination with a Bartlett or other pear with the same bloom time. Hope this clarifies things for you.