The Q&A Archives: Another Name For Sweet Bush

Question: Years ago my grandmother had a bush that she called a "sweet <br>bush". I have been trying to find that bush through the internet and local nurseries with no luck. The bush had very fragrant hard shell-like blooms (red) on it and she always invited me to "come smell her sweet bush". Can you help me with the name of that bush? Thank you.

Answer: You just caused a major wave of nostalgia for grandma had the same shrub, called it the same thing!! (My grandpa hated it though...called it a "stink bush" !) In her case (and it fits the description you give) the shrub is called Calycanthus floridus. It is also known as "Carolina Allspice". Now that you know the name you can try to find it locally. If you still can't, I have seen it at Wayside Gardens. Their phone number is 1-800-845-1124. Now that you have reminded meof it again, I just might buy one myself, they do smell delicious.