The Q&A Archives: Pool Landscaping

Question: We are installing an inground pool in SC. The pool is in direct sun most of the day. Can you reccommend some plants, trees, grasses, flowers, etc. that can be successful in the hot SC sun. thanks

Answer: The general rules to follow when planting near a pool is to choose trees and shrubs that are as litter-free as possible and those without sharp thorns or seed pods which could injure your guests. After some careful research, I've come up with hundreds of potential plants. Rather than list them and their characteristics, I'll direct you to a publication from Clemson University:

Not only will you find lists and lists of plants, but each has a description and sketch or photo to help you decide what to plant in your yard.

Best wishes with your project!