The Q&A Archives: Will red kangaroo paws withstand Phoenix's dry, hot summers?

Question: I purchased some kangaroo paws at my local Home Depot but no one could give me any info. Are they summer/winter hardy here, how tall do they get, how frequently to water and spacing for planting? Thanks, Jane P.

Answer: Anigozanthos, or Kangaroo Paw, is an evergreen perennial native to Australia. It grows from thick rootstocks that form clumps of dark green, smooth, swordlike leaves to 3' or taller. The tubular flowers, in red, pruple, green or yellow are curved at the tips like kangaroo paws. The plants like full sun and sandy or quick-draining soil. Supply regular water while the plant is in bloom and cut the spent flowering spikes down to encourage additional bloom over a long season. The plant doesn't require any exceptional care other than regular watering. In my Phoenix area garden the only threat to Kangaroo Paw plants are our local rabbits!