The Q&A Archives: persian lilac

Question: How do I care for this plant. I live in Tucson Az. and got at my HOme Depot here. Is it fragrant. How much water and will it take full sun. How should I water this, how many times per week. When is the best time to water. How and what to fertilize with. Should I cut it back in the winter.

Answer: Syringa x persica is the botanical name for your Persian Lilac. It is a deciduous, fast growing shrub that prefers to grow in light shade but will take full sun. It needs well draining soil and frequent watering, especially in the summertime. It will grow 4-8' tall and 5-10' wide. It produces upright, slightly arching branches and produces pale lilac flowers on the previous season's growth so it should be pruned immediately after flowering to ensure flower production the following year.