The Q&A Archives: Controlling Squash Bugs

Question: I have a major problem with squash bugs. From pictures, I believe they are not the vine borer type but the kind that suck the juice out of everything. These things have attacked everything in my garden. They don't even try the squash first. I've tried hand picking (very difficult because they fly away), sevin, malathion, treating the soil with dursban and diazinon. They start sucking the juice out of my tomatos, and within about a week the plants start to shrivel up. Help Please. Tom Pistone Naples, FL

Answer: It sounds like you have a severe problem with squash bugs. There are a few techniques to try to reduce the population. Always remove crop debris from the garden at the end of the season. Add lots of organic matter to create a healthy soil situation so the squash bugs can't get an upper hand. As soon as you see some bugs, try applying rotenone or sabadilla dust to the plants. These organic pesticides should help control them. .