The Q&A Archives: Low maintenance shrubs

Question: Can you recommend a low maintenance shrub, that will do
well in my zone region. I am in the lower south zone,
southeastern Virginia near the North Carolina Boarder.
I have looked at Compacta Holly and Green Velvet Boxwood. I would like something that matures to approx.
3 to 4 ft. in Height. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Answer: Consider the following:

Virginia Sweetspire (Itea virginica) Deciduous 3-5? shrub with white flowers in June-July and purplish red fall foliage. Grows in sun or shade. Itea ?Henry?s Garnet? is also an excellent selection.

Fothergilla gardenii (dwarf fothergilla) is a medium, multistemmed shrub species. It has beautiful flowers (April) and fall foliage color, but is slightly less showy than F. major. It flowers and shows its fall colors best in full sun. Dwarf fothergilla requires a moist, well-drained acid soil and does not tolerate drought.

Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon holly) is adapted to both dry and wet soils. The cultivar 'Nana' is a dwarf and can be kept at about 4'.

Best wishes with your garden!