The Q&A Archives: Quince

Question: Hi, I have a Quince bush that just seems to be stuck at the same size. I would like it to grow bigger and fuller. Is there anything I can do? Should I prune it back? And if so when? Should I feed it something?

Answer: Quince is reasonably adaptable to soils and grows best in full sunshine. Most will reach about 15' in height and they are often grown as 6-8' hedges. To promote dense growth, prune your quince back in winter; blossoms develop on the current season's growth so pruning while dormant will produce lots of new shoots which will help your quince become fuller. Feeding isn't necessary, but you can broadcast a general purpose fertilizer (5-10-10) over the soil beneath your quince if you want to feed.

Best wishes with your garden!