The Q&A Archives: What is casseron made of and what are the ramifications of using it in an area that may eventually b

Question: Our townhouse community is proposing a community vegetable garden in our courtyard gardens. The problem has come up that there are some people who think we should put down a weed seed inhibitor called Casseron (sp). So in light of the fact that we want to go Organic there are others of us who do not want to have any herbicides put down. I have tried to look it up on the internet, but maybe I am spelling it wrong, what do you know about this particular weed inhibitor? We live in a community with about 50 children and some cats...

Answer: You are wise to do your homework where chemicals, children and pets are concerned. Caseron is a pre-emergent herbicide. The active ingredient is dichlobenil, which is not registered for use in vegetable gardens. It is used mainly for weed control around woody perennials. There is an alternative to Caseron called Preen. It is registered for use in vegetable gardens and the main ingredient is corn-gluten meal. It, too, is a pre-emergent so all of the existing weeds must be pulled from the site. After planting your veggies, you can use Preen to keep weed seeds from germinating. Here's a web address for more information on Preen:

Hope this answers all your question!