The Q&A Archives: Wilt on Cucmber

Question: I have been trying to grow a good crop of cucumbers for about 10 years. Every year the plants start well, but eventually the wilt gets them. I have been using Burpee resistant and tolerant seeds. I had moderate sucess (maybe 15 fruits from 6 hills) in 1997 after I started the seeds in the cold frame and kept the plants covered until after the cucumber beetle emerged in June. I avoided an early die off and managed to get a few fruits, but by late-July the plants begin to suffer. I have used pesticides without much result and I don't like to use them. Is there any really strong resistant/tolerant plant? I would gladly trade more, less appealing fruit for just a few nicer fruit.<br><br>

Answer: There is hope! You can keep your cukes undercover, protected from beetles, if you grow parthenocarpic varieties. These do not require pollination to set fruit, so the bees need not be involved. Try Burpee's 'Big Burpless Hybrid' and 'Sweet Success'. Hope this does the trick!