The Q&A Archives: Identifying Squash Bugs

Question: What can I do about the large brown bugs on my pumpkin vines? They run slowly under the leaves as I approach them. I can't stand to touch them. Is there an insect or bacteria that I can apply to control this? Are they causing the vine to wilt, and/or cause small growth of fruit? Denice Adams Wildwood, MO

Answer: It sounds like you may have squash bugs on your plants. These brown bugs usually live in groups on the undersides of leaves. A few here and there aren't a problem, but if you notice leaves starting to die and get chewed up, then you need to control these bugs. Spray with rotenone or sabadilla dust as soon as you see them early in the season to control squash bugs. Also, clean up the garden well in fall and keep it healthy by adding lots of organic matter each season..