The Q&A Archives: Gardenia fertilizing

Question: My gardenias are really showing alot of yellow leaves. They have lots of buds though. I just fertilized them w/Miracid. Then a few days later sprinkled 1/2 cup granular Greenall Care (10-10-6). How often should I water them & what else can I do to reduce the yellow leaves? Thank you.

Answer: Yellowing leaves, especially lower down on the plant and from the inner parts of the branches is normal this time of year. Your plant is shedding older leaves in preparation for developing healthy new leaves. The plants require high humidity and lots of water. Gardenias are finicky, and any change of location or humidity or sun can set them back. Spider mites can also cause yellowing leaves and bud distortion. Look on the undersides of the leaves for tiny black specks and whitish webbing. If you find the mites, use insecticidal soap or a neem-based insecticide to control them. Routine misting with water also helps raise the humidity and control mites. It might also help to sink a few small containers of water into the soil around the plant. As the water evaporates, it will humidify the air immediately around the plant. Hope this helps!