The Q&A Archives: Over fertilized grass

Question: about 5wks ago I over fertilized my grass front and back. My grass is dead and burnt. What can I do? Please help I need suggestions or directions. I have a 18month old daughter and I want her to be able to play outside this summer in the yard. Should I get Sod put down. F.Y.I.= I still see fertilizer (pelits) 5-6wks later in my yard HELP PLEASE!!!!

Answer: The standard answer to over application of fertilizer is to leach it out with lots and lots of water. However, if it's been 5 weeks since you applied the fertilizer, I suspect the grass is really dead and leaching out the fertilizer won't renew it. Sodding the area will be expensive but if you want an instant lawn, it's the way to go. Or, you could rake out the dead grass and, hopefully, lots of the remaining fertilizer granules, then broadcast grass seed over the yard. Grass seed usually sprouts in 7 to 10 days and will grow into a thick lawn in about 6 weeks. Or you could do a combination of both - sod an area large enough for your daughter to play in and reseed the rest of the yard.

Wish there were an easier solution!