The Q&A Archives: Crabgrass

Question: Three weeks ago I spread Scotts Turf Builder with Crabgrass control. I now have as much crabgrass as ever. Big patches of it. What will kill it, and what should I do after that to get the grass growing? I am putting down grass seed in grassless patches tonight, but next is getting rid of crabgrass.

Answer: Crabgrass is a warm-season, annual grass, which grows best in the heat of mid-summer. It overwinters as seed and it comes up about mid-April. The turf builder you used contains a pre-emergent which will stop crabgrass seeds from germinating. However, it won't kill existing crabgrass. So, for complete control, you'll need a thick, lush lawn, mowed at a height of less than 3-inches. I'd pull or dig out the existing crabgrass and then reseed the bare areas. By digging the soil you'll remove the pre-emergent herbicide (which could keep the grass seeds from germinating).

Best wishes with your lawn!