The Q&A Archives: how to care roebelinii

Question: I just got a roebelinii (phoenix 4') plant and I want to keep it nice and green as it is. I dont know how much water I must put and how hot or light it needs. It came in a 1gal pot and I want to transplant it to a bigger pot. Will that affect the plant?

Answer: Your pigmy date palm grows best in full sunshine with lots of water. It's not suitable as a houseplant, but it will grow for a few short years in a container outdoors in full sunshine. Water when the top inch of potting soil gets dry. You should be able to transplant it into a larger pot without harming the plant or slowing its growth. I'd recommend planting it outdoors in the landscape if at all possible. It will get quite large in 2-3 years. I have one in my Phoenix area landscape. It was barely 2' tall when we planted it 2 years ago. It is now almost 5' tall and 6' wide.

Best wishes with your new palm!