The Q&A Archives: Sandy Yard

Question: I recently moved to Ft. Rucker, AL. I will only be here for another year so I was not planning on doing anything to the yard. It is starting to drive me crazy so I wanted to do something that is not too expensive since I wont be living here long.
I am inexperianced and I do not have much to work with. The area in front of the house ( under window) is sand. It is basically a 6X12 ft sand bed. Any suggestions?

Answer: Rosemary,

You did not mention what you wanted in that area but I assume you mean flowers. I suggest for some fast color you try zinnias, marigolds or Madagascar periwinkles (sometimes called "vinca") if the area is sunny. If it is shady try impatiens or caladiums. Mix a couple of inches of compost into the soil prior to planting to improve the plant's performance in that sandy soil.