The Q&A Archives: Minature and shrub roses for zone 10B

Question: I have selected some of the minature and shrub roses that are on sale on line from Home Depot and would like to know if they will thrive in South Fl. zone 10B We live in a town house community and the soil is very bad we are trying to enrich it fertilizers and good top soil and mulch but I do love the rosew and would like to try them. The calla lilles I put in during the fall did very well. I have some colored ones coming in now. Looking forward to hearing from you re the roses. Thanks much. Lorna

Answer: Roses grow year around in Florida and can be beautiful with regular maintenance. They are prone to fungal diseases because of the humidity but you can overcome that with regular fungicide sprays and regular pruning to keep the plants open for good air circulation. I think the plants are worth the effort! Major pruning is done in December and you'll want to water regularly to keep the soil moist so mulching the ground after planting the roses will help the soil retain moisture and also help suppress weeds. Best wishes with your new roses!