The Q&A Archives: Identifying trees

Question: I have a tree that was given to me from my mom. It was going in her back yard but she forgot what type of tree it is. I think it is an american or washington hawthorn. It is about 10-12 feet high, awsome 2-3 inch thorns off the branches ( very strong and solid to the touch) the little leaves comming out are a redish with green ( mostly red ) Please advise.

Answer: Without seeing the tree and its flowers, it's difficult to positively identify it. However, most species of the hawthorne have very prominent, long, straight, sharp thorns, ranging from 1 to 5 inches in length. There are only a few species without thorns. A hawthorn is the state flower of Missouri so when your tree blooms you can compare the flower clusters online (

Best wishes with your tree!