The Q&A Archives: Privacy

Question: I have a fence that runs along a tree well. I would like to plant some ivy that would eventually creep along the fence so I will have more privacy. Something that would flower would be nice. It is mostly in the shade. The fence on the otherside of the yard gets sun most of the day. I would like to do this on both sides. Thanks

Answer: My favorite vines for shady situations are the Climbing Hydrangea (Hydrangea anomala v. petiolaris) and Japanese Hydrangea Vine (Schizophragma hydrangeoides). There are pink-flowering forms of both as well, if you want something other than white. There is a variegated Climbing Hydrangea, too, and the Hydrangea Vine has a selection called 'Moonlight', which has a very attractive silver overlay on the leaves. In time these vines can get quite heavy, so a sturdy fence is necessary.

Campsis radicans, or Trumpet Vine will grow in full sun to part shade. All summer, this hardy vine bears large, trumpet-shaped, bright orange flowers attractive to hummingbirds. It is easy to grow in ordinary soil in a sunny spot and is pest-free. It needs no fastening to cling to any support, making an excellent screen on a fence or wall.

Or you might try Lonicera Sempervirens ?Blanche Sandman? (Coral Honeysuckle). Reddish-orange, trumpet-shaped flowers opening to yellow first appear in May and continue to bloom off and on until frost on this very vigorous native vine. Use it to climb and screen a porch, trellis, pergola, archway, wall, or fence. This Honeysuckle is aphid-resistant and an incredible hummingbird magnet.

Hope one of these vining plants is just right for your garden.