The Q&A Archives: Potted Ferns

Question: If I plant Outdoor Ferns in Pots and sit them in my garden, will they grow back every year, just like they do when I plant them in the ground?

Answer: The major consideration in planting ferns, or any other perennials, in pots is how to protect the roots during the winter season. Above-ground pots can freeze solid in your winter weather. If you can dig a trench in the garden and bury the pots during the winter months, your ferns should be just fine. If you leave the pots above ground, the roots will probably freeze. So, with this in mind, you can enjoy your potted ferns throughout your garden this summer and fall, but you should group them together somewhere in the garden in late fall and pile earth up around the pots, or sink the pots into the ground until spring.