The Q&A Archives: Gardenia Culture

Question: I just moved to a location with a very hot climate-- usually in the 100 to 110 range from June to early Oct. Where should I plant my gardenia? Mostly shade? Morning or afternoon sun?

Answer: Gardenia's grow best in filtered shade, so find a spot that provides some morning sun, but is protected from hot afternoon sunshine. A northern or eastern exposure will suit it just fine. Plant in loamy, but fast-draining soil. The roots grow near the surface so mulch around the plant to keep weeds down, rather than cultivating around the stem and roots. To keep the plant healthy and happy, sprinkle water on the leaves in the early morning during the summertime. Pick off faded blooms to encourage additional flowering.