The Q&A Archives: Most Fragrant Jasmine

Question: What is the most fragrant Jasmine plant? I would like to plant some near my windows so I can enjoy the fragrance. And, where does Jasmine work best? Full or partial sun, morning or afternoon sun? I love the kind that climbs up a trellis, will it work by my front door in full afternoon sun in 100 to 120 degree summers?

When one thinks of fragrance, jasmine is one of the first plants that comes to mind. But, not all jasmines are fragrant, and star jasmine, one of the most fragrant plants commonly called jasmine, is not a true jasmine at all (it belongs to the genus Trachelospermum). All jasmines thrive in regular garden soil and need frequent pinching and shaping to control growth.

If you're after a true jasmine, try Spanish Jasmine (J. Grandiflorum), a sprawling vine that grows 10-15 feet with glossy green leaves and loose clusters of fragrant white flowers. There is also a Primrose Jasmine (J. mesnyi) that grows long, arching branches (6-10 feet) and bright yellow flowers. Trachelospermum, the Star Jasmine, needs some shade from the hot afternoon sun, but grows twining vines to 20 feet long. White, sweet-scented flowers are profuse in the early summer.