The Q&A Archives: moving old overgrown azaleas

Question: I recently moved back into my childhood home and I am planning to expand. In the area where I am going to build are 10 azaleas that have grown into one big mass. I need to move them for the addition. How far back should I prune them before I move them? They are basically umbrellas and I was planning on taking off 1/3 but that will not leave much in the leaf department. Any advise would be appreciated.

Answer: The rule of thumb is never to remove more than one-third of the live growth on a shrub during any pruning session. If the lower stems are bare they may never produce new stems and leaves so be careful how much you prune - just take off one third of the topmost growth. I have had the experience where I've completely cut overgrown azaleas down to the ground and they have resprouted - but this may not work for you, especially if you plan on digging them up and replanting them. If there is a reason for saving them rather than replacing them, then prune and dig with caution, and plan on nursing them back to health after the move.

Best wishes with your azaleas.