The Q&A Archives: grass seeds

Question: I want to get some grass seeds for some bare spots I have in my lawn. I also want to put chicken wire down to stop the cats and birds from eating it and digging it up. I was told to put haysticks down too to stop the birds from sticking their beaks into the chicken wire and still eating it up. Where can I get hay sticks from?

Answer: Haysticks, or straw is usually available from feed stores and some organic gardening supply stores. You may have to make a few phone calls to find it locally. What you can do instead is apply a thin layer of peat moss over the seeded areas. Peat will serve two purposes; keep the seeds moist, and hide the seeds from those marauding birds. Peat moss is readily available in garden centers.