The Q&A Archives: Crab grass took over a section of my lawn which is St. Augustine

Question: I live in South Florida. My lawn is St. Augustine. I have a company that sprays and a professional landscaper. My sprinklers weren't covering the front of my home and thus I ended up with crab grass. I've since had the sprinklers corrected to cover this area. Is my only option kill the crab grass and resod with new St. Augustine?

Answer: Julie,

No just keep mowing, watering and fertilizing. The St. Augustine will take over, get thick and choke out the crabgrass slowly. Next spring when the crabgrass seeds try to sprout a thick St. Augustine will choke them out. You can put down a preemergence weed killer in spring if you like but it may not be needed if your lawn is thick at that time. Your County Extension Office can assist by providing the best timing for a preemergence weed killer.