The Q&A Archives: Planted Dogwood Tree, Charleston, S.C.

Question: How long should I keep water bag around tree. Also should I fertilize it. The tree is about 8 ft tall and struggling.

Answer: Most water bags hold about 20 gallons of water, which is adequate for a weekly watering. If your tree has been in the ground more than 2-3 years you can safely remove the water bag. If you haven't already, you might want to construct a water basin beneath your tree, then fill the basin once a week during the growing season. I usually fill the basin, allow it to drain, then fill it a second time. This method of watering concentrates the water over the root mass and allows it to trickle down, wetting the entire root mass. You can fertilize your tree with a 5-10-10 food, in amounts as recommended on the fertilizer label.

Best wishes with your dogwood.