The Q&A Archives: Torbay Palm

Question: Hello I planted a Torbay Palm in my yard last week during 100 degree heat. It appears to be dying. It started out as deep purple color and is now turning brown. I followed the planting instructions and used Miracle Grow with moisture control. I have the plant set on a drip system with a 1GPH dripper, watering 5 minutes a day. Am I over-watering or under-watering? Help!! I want to save this plant. I live in Sacramento, California. Any advise would be greatly appreciated...

Jae Redline

Answer: Planting in 100 degree weather can be stressful on new plants but I think the real problem is that you're not supplying enough water to your palm. With a 1GPH emitter running only 5 minutes a day, your palm is probably only getting a cupful of water. That's not enough to sustain health, especially during hot spells. Leave the drip system running for at least 30 mintues (equivalent to a half gallon of water). Running it in the morning and again in the evening for 30 minutes each time will give your palm a full gallon of water. You can do this every other day and, depending upon the size of your palm, that should provide adequate moisture. If it's a large palm, use a 2GPH emitter in place of the 1GPH emitter.

Hope you can save your palm!