The Q&A Archives: bare grass

Question: I bought a new house and put down sod. The back yard has a lot of trees, oaks, butternut, and ash. I had black dirt put down before the sod. There are bare spots. I aerated the yard last fall and put down seed but haven't seen any improvement this spring. Any suggestions?

Answer: It's difficult to grow grass in shady areas or beneath shade trees so you may need to reseed again this spring. Use a shade tolerant grass seed mixture, lightly cover the reseeded areas with peatmoss to keep the seeds moist and water often enough to keep the seeds moist. They should germinate in 7-10 days. If you're still unsuccessful, you may need to redesign the area to include walkable groundcovers rather than turfgrass. Best wishes with your lawn!