The Q&A Archives: Lawn is reseeding

Question: We did not cut our grass short enough now sections of the lawn are reseeding. The lawn has finally come in thick and was looking great until this problem started. We are afraid to cut it too short and wind up with stocky blades of grass. What do we do?

~Thank you

Answer: I'm not sure why there's a concern about the grass reseeding. Allowing the seeds to germinate will only result in a thicker lawn. Since you didn't indicate what part of the country you're gardening in, or what type of grass you have, I can't give you specifics as to how long or short to cut your lawn. A general rule of thumb is to cut only a third of the blade's length and to mow often enough to keep it from being scalped when you do mow. Bluegrass and fescues should be maintained at about 2 and a half inches. Hope this information is helpful.