The Q&A Archives: What are the little 'white bumpy-like warts' on my hibiscus?

Question: I can have them on one plant, but not on the next one - the bumps look really awful, and take over the stems, leaves, and then the flower buds fall off. But the hibiscus right next to it won't have any or few. What are these bumps and how do I keep them off my plants? Mahalo from the Big Island of Hawaii (I've tried a variety of insecticides, including NEEM oil. I've tried aggressive pruning, but the bumps come back. What are they? HELP!

Answer: Neem oil will typically suffocate the pesky scale insects but if that doesn't work, you might try a systemic such as Bayer Advanced Garden Tree & Shrub Insect Control. This product is applied to the soil and will be transported throughout the plant. It should effectively control the pests. Be sure to follow label directions.

Best wishes with your hibiscus.