The Q&A Archives: Datura Propagation And Care

Question: Can I start a new plant from cuttings? How do I care for this plant? Can it go outdoors or is it a houseplant?

Answer: Datura needs to spend the winter indoors, but can go outside in the summertime. Datura is also called Angel's Trumpet because of the magnificent 10 inch long flaring trumpet-like flowers it produces. You can take a stem cutting in the spring, dip it in rooting hormone, and place it in potting soil. It roots best with bottom heat, so use heating cables or a seed-starting heating mat to provide bottom heat. General care guidelines include average household temperatures in the winter, outdoors in the summer with early morning sunshine, keep well-watered in spring and summer, barely moist soil in the winter. Mist the leaves occasionally while indoors. Datura should bloom in the summer.