The Q&A Archives: re-seed or not to re-seed?

Question: I have a lot of spots in my lawn that seem to be in shaded areas that don't grow grass. There is also what seems to be more weeds than actual grass. If I aerate and seed heavily, will the grass seed choke out the weeds? or would I be better of clearing the yard and re-seeding completely?

Answer: Unless you remove the weeds by hand or kill them chemically before reseeding I'm afraid the weeds will overtake the lawn before the new grass has a change to grow strong. I'd remove the weeds, power rake and remove the debris, then reseed the lawn. Grass seeds germinate in 7-10 days when kept watered and in 3-4 weeks the lawn should be thick enough to crowd out any new weeds that try to pop up.

It's difficult to get grass to grow in shade so be sure to look for a shade tolerant grass seed mixture.

Best wishes with your lawn.