The Q&A Archives: Droopy Spathiphyllum

Question: Since November, my spathiphyllum (Emerald Swirl) has been droopy -- all of the leaves are down around the sides of the pot and none of the stems are upright. Some of the leaves have died off, even though there are a few new shoots. I water the plant roughly once a week, and haven't fertilized it since the fall. I tried moving it away from the radiators and tried putting it in full sun. Do you have any ideas for saving my plant?

Answer: Spathiphyllum, the Peace Lily, is a great houseplant if it can be kept out of direct sunlight in a room which is reasonable warm in the winter. It hates cold drafts, and loves humidity, so keep the potting soil moist and stand the pot in a tray filled with pebbles, kept with a half inch of water in it. Spathiphyllum needs a minimum winter nighttime temperature of 55F degrees and bright light - strong sunlight will damage the leaves. Often, when leaves droop on a plant, it indicates too much or too littlewater, or the light isn't quite right. Follow the above guidelines and you'll have a good chance of saving your Peace Lily.