The Q&A Archives: growing grass

Question: We live on a main road that is busy, and in in the winter time rock salt gets splashed onto our lawn. For the past two years I have raked up the thatch, added top soil and grass seed to grow grass near the road and nothing ever grows. What can I use to get the grass to grow?

Answer: I know several universities are researching salt-tolerant turfgrasses but so far, there are none available. However, here are a few ideas: You can create a flower bed, and grow annual flowers along the roadside. Nasturtiums, for example, thrive in hot, dry, relatively infertile sites. You'd need to start with new seeds or plants each year. You might try a few exceptionally durable perennials, such as yarrow, gallardia, and sedum. Also Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) and evergreen candytuft (Iberis sempervirens).

Best wishes with your landscape.