The Q&A Archives: moving bulbs

Question: I plan to move tulip bulbs to an area not yet done. Can I dig up & store indoors unitl fall or s/I leave in the ground until fall & move then? Thanks!!

Answer: It's best to leave the bulbs in the ground until fall. It's important to allow the foliage to ripen and die back on its own - the leaves are producing and transporting carbohydrates or energy back to the bulbs for next spring's floral display. After the leaves die down you can remove them from the garden and dig the bulbs if necessary for storage in a cool, dry place until planting back in the garden in the fall. Indoors may be too warm for the bulbs. A basement or cool garage would be a better place to store them. Since you plan to move them in the fall anyway, you can simply leave them in the ground and then dig them up in the fall and set them in their new bed.

Best wishes with your garden.