The Q&A Archives: deadheading

Question: We recently planted two double knock out rose bushes from Home Depot. No pruning information came with the plant. Do you prune/deadhead these plants the same way you do tea and other rose bushes? I have several dead blossoms that need to be dealt with. I have always trimmed regular roses to the second five leaf down from the flower.

Thanks for your help.

Answer: Knock Out roses require less maintenance than your hybrid teas. You can prune to remove the spent flowers but generally the plants are left alone until late winter or early spring and then pruned back by about a third to a half. If you don't like seeing the spent blossoms you can prune them off but it isn't necessary to prune back to a 5-leaflet leaf as you would on other roses.

Enjoy your new roses!