The Q&A Archives: Pumpkin Seed Snack

Question: I purchase pumpkin seeds from the local health food store on a regular basis. I would like to grow my own pumpkins and use the seeds as a health food snack. Please tell me what variety of pumpkin to use and what equipment or process is needed to remove the seeds and prepare them for use.

Answer: 'Triple Treat' is a variety that Burpee offers (ph. 1-800-888-1447) that is good for seed snacking. We prepare seeds at my home and we don't use any special process or equipment. We simply remove the seeds, rinse them, air dry on a cookie sheet for 24 hrs., toss in olive oil and bake in the oven (I roast them at 200F until they are golden brown). We then place them in a large bowl (with a lid) and toss them with salt and any other spices we are in the mood for.