The Q&A Archives: Tomatoes

Question: I have 1 tomatoe plant growing on my patio. What will make it yield the most and best tomatoes? It's in a pot with Miracle Grow plant soil, and has flowers, but haven't seen bees to pollenate it.

Answer: Tomatoes respond to lots of sunshine by producing lots of flowers, which will turn into fruits. If you don't see flying insects around your plant (bees aren't the only pollinators) then you can help things along by sharply tapping on the branch just above the cluster of flowers. This will make the pollen drop from the male part to the female part of the flower. Use your finger to tap a couple of times on the branch, wait a day or two and do it again. This way you're sure to dislodge the ripe pollen and the flower should turn into a tomato.

Best wishes with your tomato plant.