The Q&A Archives: Centipede grass

Question: My husband & I just purchased a n investment home that has centipede grass. The lawn hasn't been cared for in a few months. We were told to use a 10-10-10 fertilizer (by a neighbor) which would aid in choking out the weeds and thicken the lawn. Soil is sandy. Should we use this fertilizer now and when should we reseed.

Answer: Centipede grass is one of the lower maintenance grasses so you're in luck there. It tends to grow best on poor, sandy soils and doesn't require (nor especially appreciate) lots of fertilizer. You can feed once a year with a 15-0-15 (phosphorous depletes the iron levels in the soil so that's why you use a formulation with little or no middle number) 16-4-8 can be used instead of the 15-0-15 if it is easier to find in your garden center. Centipede is a warm season grass so it will die back when the weather gets cool but with ample water is will grow and spread during the summer months.

You can overseed at any time of year but the seeds will germinate fastest during the warmest months of the year. Centi-seed should be available at most local nurseries.

Best wishes with your lawn.